[Source]

The Dalai Lama, when asked what surprised him most about humanity, answered, ‘Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.’

Don’t roll your eyes; it’s true.

A very small number of people get happiness from their job. For the rest — and if we assume that the primary aim of life is the pursuit of happiness — they’re spending over 80% of their lives not pursuing happiness. And then they’re probably too tired to plan out the rest 20%. I’m not looking down on them; I’m saying it is a sad reality that we ought to change. And it’s not even very difficult.

This of course applies only to those who have their basic necessities covered. I would hesitate to preach such concepts to a daily wage earner.

Advertisements